About Me

My name is Stefanie Galvin and I am a Prep teacher at Heidelberg Primary School, in Melbourne, Australia.

2013 is my fourth year teaching in the classroom, and I have spent both 2 years in a prep classroom, and am enjoying my second year teaching Prep/1. I try to incorporate digital technologies in the classroom as often as possible and have a Promethean Interactive Whiteboard and access to a bank of Mac desktops in (and outside of) the room that students have access to on a daily basis.

In 2011 I participated in a DEECD research project, investigating the role of digital technologies in contemporary literacy teaching in prep – which promises to be both challenging and a lot of fun. I am looking forward to investigating the different types of technologies that my students can use independently (and collaboratively) to produce contemporary texts.

I believe that it’s important to have fun every day in the classroom, and that when students are happy and comfortable they will learn. My classroom is loud (all the time!) and engaging with as many hands-on activities as I can provide. We’re also readers – we read every day and I keep the classroom library stocked with good quality and high-interest texts (seriously, I’m obsessed with kids books).

You can find me on Twitter (@stefgalvin), Facebook (Miss Galvin Learns), TeachersPayTeachers (Miss Galvin Learns), TeachersNotebook (Miss Galvin Learns) and Pinterest (Stef Galvin).

1. Stef,
    I am a retired primary/elementary educator and enjoy staying current with what is happening in education around the globe. I commend you and your students for an outstanding year of learning. I can feel your passion and excitement for learning which I’m sure is contagious and spreads among your students. As it should be for effective learning with young children, you make learning engaging and FUN! Love the way you are using Kathleen and Kelly, two fabulous teachers to emulate. Enjoy your holidays and I look forward to following you and your students on another yearly learning adventure.
    @rcantrell

• @ Rich,

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I think it’s fantastic that there are retired educators who still have the interest and passion to track what’s happening in education. It’s a great reminder that it can be passion that drives what we do every day.

I think there’s a big push these days for even our youngest students to achieve more than they are perhaps capable of (keeping in mind that I teach five and six year olds), and for that to happen they need to be engaged in fun activities, as you’ve said, rather than the same old teaching day in and day out. I had the perfect opportunity to explore that this year through using technology with my students and it did pay off and for that I’m very grateful. And Kathleen and Kelly have been fantastic examples, not just for me, but also for sharing with others that what I’ve been doing does have great educational benefits.

Thanks again,
      Stef

2. I’ve nominated your blog for a Liebster Blogging Award! Please take a look at my latest blog post for details:

http://teachingwithsight.blogspot.com/2013/07/liebster-blog-award.html

Thanks!

Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    http://teachingwithsight.blogspot.com

3. Hey!

so….been playing around with the blog and have a question…
    Can I follow you and it notifies me of what’s going on on your blog or do I need to use networkedBlogs?

• Hey Em,

You can – you should be able to follow me and get my updates via Networked Blogs. Alternatively, if you add your email address to the box in the sidebar (it’s under my Vic blogger badge) you’ll get an update each time I post. 🙂

Stef

4. Hi there! I am a Kindergarten teacher from Kentucky! I enjoy reading your blog. How fun it is to connect with someone so many miles away.

Last year I joined a company called Scentsy. Have you heard of it? They just recently opened up the business opportunity in Australia. I would love to expand my team to Australia and share the opportunity with others. This is a WONDERFUL opportunity for anyone just signing up in Australia. So much potential for growth. I believe in it so much because it’s a fantastic company and it has blessed my life and the life of my family so much. I know first hand, teachers LOVE Scentsy! Do you know anyone who may be interested and could use some extra income? January is the perfect time to sign up. Thank you so very much!!

Blessings,
    Crystal

5. Dear Stef,
    Like you I am a teacher in Victoria. I was looking around the net for teachers in Australia who have blogs and stumbled upon your site. It is wonderful to see Australian content when looking at a site. I was beyond excited when I realised you were a fellow Prep/One teacher. I have a wonderful class on 20 Prep/One children this year. I love multi-age teaching and am always interested in how other teachers plan and organise their multi-age classroom. I was wondering if you would be willing to share some of your tips and tricks on planning for a multi-age room?
    Thank you for a wonderful blog, I am full of inspiration and can see I may have a long night ahead thinking about the up coming term.
    Kind Regards
    Kylie Anne

• Hi Kylie Anne,

It’s so nice to meet other Aussie teachers in blogland! Thank you for your lovely feedback.

I have to say, it’s always fabulous to meet other Prep/One teachers, too, because while there are a few of us around, not too many are on blogs, so it’s great to find these connections.

Thanks so much for the question about sharing tips. I’m more than happy to, and while thinking about it, I thought I might do a short series of posts on the blog, if that’s okay with you? I hope to have the first post up before the end of the week, and of course, I’d love it if you came left your own thoughts in the comments there, too!

I’m glad you found some inspiration here! That’s the lovely thing about teacher blogs – there’s always lots of new ideas out there!

Do you have a blog? I’d love to follow it if you do (and if you don’t, I highly recommend it!).

Thanks,
      stef