What’s Been Happening?

It’s been positively AGES since I posted. At least, it feels like it anyway.

So, today I’m going to share with you a whole lot of things that have been happening over the last few weeks. Those of you who follow me on Facebook/Pinterest/Instagram have probably seen most of these already (but I’ll explain some, too!).

I apologise in advance for the load of pictures!

Ages ago I watched Mr. Greg’s video tutorial for making glue sponges, and made up one for each table in my classroom over the school holidays. Last week my Little Smarties used them for the first time. Oh, my goodness – can anyone say FANTASTIC idea?!

They’re such a hit, and my tables have been glue-free all week long!

Our school runs a play-based learning program (Investigations) three times a week for our Prep students. This semester I’ve been put in charge of the dramatic play and sensory activities (woohoo!) and my first dramatic play space to set-up was the Post Office. Take a look at my fabulous post office box! I’m very proud of it. One, repurposed cardboard box (and a few other box bits), some spray paint and a printed label and it’s all good to go.

I also added old stamps that my Mum was clearing out so kids could put REAL stamps on their postcards and letters, plus I found processing stamps for the kids to process the letters at the post office. All the classes decorated their own letter box and kids get to deliver them each day.

(You may see more dramatic play space set-up photos in the future. You have been forewarned!)

These are my new table names, made out of IKEA free-standing picture frames and decorated with washi tape!

One side has the table name – Pancakes, Lollipops, Cupcakes and Ice-Creams – and the other side has work options for early finishers!

If anyone’s interested in these signs, let me know and I’ll upload them for people.

So, I have a bit of a shopping habit. I’ve mentioned this before.

Anyway, I found those awesome notepads above – little laptop screens and keyboards – for only 83c from Target (which, if you’re from Australia, you’ll know Target RARELY sells anything for $1 or less!). I bought ten a few packets of them!

Then I spotted a boxset of Star Wars readers – 20 for $50. Since I would normally have to pay about $8-$10 for one, this was a bargain. Now the Little Smarties can not complain about not having enough Star Wars readers! (It doesn’t hurt that I’m a big Star Wars fan, too!)

Shopping habit. See? (Sadly, this is only the most RECENT arrivals… I have more incoming!)

I’m on a bit of a dice kick at the moment. Absolutely loving them. Found the clear dice at the local dollar-type store (5 for $2.50) – they’re about twice the size of a normal dice and very cool. Plus, the lovely Alison from Teaching Maths with Meaning kindly collected some Alphabet dice for me while she was in the U.S. recently.

And I’ve been inspired by the recent book studies going on, so I’m eager to get started on Talking, Drawing, Writing and The Next Step in Guided Reading. I’m also collecting fairytale alternatives for Term 4’s unit.

I’m also hard at work getting these two activity packs ready to upload onto TpT and TeachersNotebook.

There may be some giveaways going on later this week. Stay tuned folks!

Finally…

Wow, if you’ve made it to the end, I’m SO impressed!

On a completely un-related to school note: a friend of mine is raising the starting funds for his film writing debut (The Blind Truth). It would be awesome if you could stop by, have a read, and consider helping out!

Enjoy your weekend, my friends!

1. This post was definitely worth waiting for! Where to begin? I have been looking for some free standing photo frames for a really long time and now I have a good enough reason to drive an hour to go to IKEA! My hubby hates the drive but now that I have a school related reason to go, I think I can convince him haha. Now I just need to get my hands on some washi tape =)

How are you finding the glue sponges? Do you flip them over when you want to use them? I think it’s a fantastic idea – definitely going to look into it a bit more because glue pots drive me CRAAAAAZY!!!

• Aw, thanks for the comment, Casey!

The frames are so cheap – only a couple of dollars. And I just printed my signs on 6x4inch photo paper and they fit pretty well. I did a MASSIVE shop at Ikea for school stuff when I bought those frames (coloured cups for pencil holders, whiteboard markers for the kids, finger-puppets, magazine holders for individual book boxes and a bunch of other stuff I’ve completely forgotten now – lol!). Also, Etsy is good for washi tape, or just do a google search and lots of places should come up.

The glue sponges are working great so far. They’re only 2 weeks old, but my kids have loved using them (so much so, I don’t think they’ve touched their new gluesticks yet). I don’t have to flip them over – when I made them I put glue on the bottom and glue on top and it seeped through, and whenever you press down the paper picks up the glue. If they dry out a bit, I’ll probably flip them over. Or spray them with some water. But, so far, so good!

Stef

2. Wow, you sure have been busy! It’s great to see what you’ve been up to. I love me some Star Wars so I think I’ll be heading to Target. Too bad we don’t have the $ section that everyone in the U.S. always talks about….

3. I am interested in your table signs. Specifically the side where it tells them what they can do when they finish.