Five for Friday

After only 1 week of term I feel like I’ve been hit by a freight train. Tonight’s post will be brief because I honestly don’t think my brain is functioning properly.

It’s been one of those weeks.

Linking up with Doodlebugs Teaching for Five for Friday:

#1

I got mail! Brand new write and wipe pockets. I was so VERY excited on Monday night.

#2

This week we’ve been exploring shapes. The Grade 1s loved using the geoboards to make different quadrilaterals.

#3

We read the Very Hungry Caterpillar on Thursday. My Preps retold the story by sequencing the food the caterpillar ate using ordinal numbers. We turned them into caterpillars and hats and made the Grade 1s very jealous. Must come up with a Grade 1 hat idea soon, or I may be accosted by grumpy Grade 1s!

#4

First classroom test run with the write-on-wipe-off pockets. Major success. I foresee much use in the future.

#5

We have an open-day tomorrow (Saturday) for prospective Prep parents for 2014. We had to change the big display board in the Prep area. Now… my classroom is NOT in the Prep area, but this is my display because it wouldn’t have been changed (or half as bright and colourful) if I hadn’t done it. 2.5 hours of my time (not including tissue-paper pom-pom making time) and it’s up and done.

In the next week or so we’ll be adding photos of all the Prep and Prep/1 kiddos with their Lorax moustaches and their quotes on how to look after the environment.

I’m going to go and collapse now. I’ll be back later this weekend with my review for the Magical Product Swap.

Enjoy your Friday!

1. Stefanie: I just found your blog today. I’m from Maryland in the USA. I love using geoboards with my kinders too. I think it’s really funny when they try to make circles. 🙂

I just put up some amusement park freebies on my blog if you’d like to stop by for a second and check them out. I’ll be sure to visit your blog again soon – the Magical Product Swap sounds intriguing!

Get some rest,

Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    Teaching with Sight

• Hi Sharon,

Thanks for stopping by the blog and leaving a comment. We’ve got another week of 2D shapes, and I think we’ll keep the geoboard activities going next week, too!

Thanks for the link to your blog. Popping over there now!

Stef

• Stef: I thought of another book that you might like to use for your shape unit: “Mouse Shapes” by Ellen Stoll Walsh. It’s a really great book for teaching about shapes and how to make pictures out of them. I teach kindergarten now, but I have a post about this book on my blog, from last year when I taught pre-k, in case you want to take a look.

Mouse Shapes

Sharon Dudley, NBCT

2. Just love your blog and have added you to my list of great aussie bloggers

3. Hi! I’ve just recently found you blog and I love it! I’m in WA and wondering if you could tell me where you got those write and wipe pockets? They look fab!
    Thanks so much 🙂

4. Hi Stephanie, just came across your blog this morning (its wonderful thankyou) Just wondering if you have a template to share for thd hungry caterpillar ordinal numbers hat please

5. Hey! I absolutely love the hat idea. Do you have a template to download for this?