Hall Pass and Five for Friday

It’s been one of those weeks, so I’m going to link up with two linkys today. I hope you’ll forgive me!

We don’t have Hall Passes at my school, but it seems like a pretty good idea for a linky, regardless. Thus, I’m linking up with Reagan, from Tunstall’s Teaching Tidbits. On with the show…

P is for Product (My Favourite Product)

I love my Silly Sentence Sorts, and I use them all the time. They’re a simple, easy to use Literacy activity that reinforce reading and writing skills. This was one of my very first products and remains my fav!

A is for Area 

My favourite area is my classroom. I can’t really narrow it down too much (because honestly there’s not much area to narrow it down to!), but I have a soft spot for my rainbow wall. It just brightens the room and looks great with work covering it. (Need to update my photos now that the kids have moved in to the classroom!)

S is for Signal

I use the Whole Brain Teaching’s “Class Class” signal. However I say ‘class’ my students respond with an identical ‘yes’.  I love that I can play around with how I say ‘class’ and make it loud, soft, fast, slow – the kids love it!

S is for Sanity

My sanity is saved daily by my co-workers. I’m very fortunate to work in a school with a fantastic staff who all get along, and I have a great team leader who’s very supportive and a fantastic integration aide who’s been an absolute life-saver since the start of the year. At the end of the day I just love the opportunity to unwind and discuss the day, get things off my chest with my like-minded colleagues, and leave the school feeling at ease!

#1

Last week, Brooke from Teachable Moments, highlighted a great product for cleaning whiteboards and laminated paper. I went out and bought some (on sale!) and cut them up for my classroom. So excited to have a class set of whiteboard marker erasers that will actually clean!

#2

We’ve had some ridiculously hot weather here in Melbourne (uncomfortable and annoying hot!). On Monday night I was with my parents and my Dad, bless him, made us banana splits! Now, I’m not a big ice-cream eater, but it was simple and delicious!

#3

Speaking of my parents, my Mum likes to buy things for my classroom when she spots things that the kids would like, including this fake-grass covered bunny (that’s available due to Easter… which is so far away still!). But I love it – it’s so tactile and I have a lot of kids who love sensory activities. He’ll go into the classroom soon and join my fake tree and assorted classroom decorations.

#4

Speaking of classroom things, meet Wally. Wally is my 2013 classroom take-home mascot. He’s actually the wombat from Wombat Stew and was named by not-so-diplomatic vote (not-so because my Preppies, with only 10 days of school under their belt, voted for EVERY name on the board!). He’s cute and tiny and the kids of are super-excited to take him home. I’ll share more pictures of him at a later date!

#5

Who stole the apples from the apple tree? This week our letter/sound focus has been ‘a’. While the Preps made Anzac Biscuits in Investigations, the Grade 1s and I explored apples. We peeled and spiral-sliced apples using an apple peeler/corer (my kids LOVED this – springy apples and long, thin, curly apple skins!), made apple glyphs and made a class book adapted from Deanna Jump’s Apples Math and Literacy Activities.

What’s ahead for you this weekend?

1. Loved the banana split, thinking I should do some for the children for dessert. Super great idea.

Oh, I must also pick up some white board cleaners too.

Both the bunny and the wombat are very cute. We don’t do Easter, but it would cool to have something like that for fun.

• I’m not always a dessert person, but it was just a lovely after-dinner treat the other night.

It’s funny you mention not doing Easter, because I don’t in the classroom either, but I figure the bunny will be quite neutral (we’ll constantly change his ribbon, etc) to have him match whatever’s happening in the classroom. I love the tactile-ness of him.

2. I also use the Magic Erasers – they work on everything. I used them to clean walls when I moved into my new room this year, otherwise it would have taken much longer.

That banana split looks delish!

• They’re absolutely fabulous, and I’m so glad I bought them. This week I’ll be cutting them up into student-sized pieces for when we have handwriting.

The banana split was SO yummy. I hadn’t had one in years!

3. I haven’t had a banana split in a very long time, looks yummy.

Terri
    The First Grade Princess

4. That wombat is adorable! My family wants to visit Australia soon! It is next on our list for travels 🙂
    Magic erasers are the best!! Enjoy your weekend:)